Product: YI Home Camera Review
Where to buy: Amazon.com – Click here for the latest price
Great for: Inside your home
My Rating: 8.5 out of 10
YI Home Camera Review
Not so long ago, I was looking for a cheaper option for an indoor security camera capable to keep an eye on my home while I was not there. Also, I wanted something set up in my kids’ rooms so I could monitor them without having to be in the room with them. Finding something cheap was extremely important as I was on a tight budget at the time, but I didn’t want something that lacked in features. That’s when I came across the YI Home Camera.
Immediately, I was impressed with look of the YI Home Camera. Such a stylish design suitable for any décor. The features are pretty standard for an indoor security camera. But the thing I like the most is the price. WOW! The YI Home Camera is one of the cheapest indoor security cameras I have found on the market still with a lot of great features. If you’re looking for something to do the job that isn’t too expensive, then I highly recommend it.
Who is the YI Home Camera for?
Pretty much anyone looking for an indoor security camera on a budget. The YI Home Camera has many uses such as:
- Monitoring your home for break ins – if placed in an appropriate location, the YI Home Camera will monitor your home for unwanted guests entering you home, including recording vision and sending you alerts.
- Keeping an eye on children or pets – Put a YI Home Camera in your child’s play room and keep an eye on them while you’re cooking dinner in the kitchen.
- Use it as a baby monitor – Use it to monitor your baby overnight with it’s night vision feature.
- Recording special events – Place the camera in a location to record special events, such as birthdays, and keep the memories forever. Or say you are away on a business trip, you can still be there for your child’s birthday remotely via the YI Home Cam.
What I like about the YI Home Camera
The price is a huge plus for me. Gaining a level of home security cheaply can be very important when on a budget. I also like the look of the camera as its design is not intrusive and I think will go with any style home.
I love how easy it is to set up the camera. It’s as simple as plugging it in, downloading the app, and connecting it to your phone, and away you go. Easy As!
And finally, the picture quality. At 720p, considering the price of the device, this is more than enough to record clear videos.
What I don’t like about the YI Home Camera
Personally, I don’t like that it requires the purchase of a Micro SD card to store videos locally. The reason I don’t like it is because it’s an extra cost, and SD cards don’t carry too much storage, only 8 to 32GB in this case. In saying that, if you are willing to purchase an SD card, or you have a spare one lying around the house, this is great and you’ll be able to start recording vision to the SD card immediately.
As an alternative storage option, cloud storage is available via a service called YI Cloud. Cloud storage is a great, hassle free, convenient option. But there usually is an ongoing monthly cost involved for a level of storage that is sufficient for a security system.
YI Cloud offers storage packages on a Free, Standard or Premium plan. The free plan offers 6-second Activity Alert videos stored for 7 days. For the camera to be used as a security device, I don’t think this is enough.
Their paid plans are called Standard and Premium, starting at $9.99 a month and up to $19.99 a month. These plans range from providing 15 days of motion detected footage to up to 30 days of continuous recording.
If paying a monthly fee for cloud storage is what you are after, then by all means go for it. Especially based on the price of the device itself, it might just be worth it in the long run.
The Boring (but important) Stuff
We all need to know the specifications of a device. So here they are in one spot.
- Lens Material – All-Glass Lens
- Image Sensor – 1/4″ 1MP CMOS sensor
- Viewing Angle – 111°
- Body Size – 54mm
- Video Frame Rate – 20fps (1280*720)
- Local Storage – 8-32GB Micro CD Card
- Night Vision Range – 5 meters
- Wireless Standard – IEEE802.11b/g/n
- Supported Operating Systems – Android 4.0 and above / iOS 7 and above
Overall, the YI Home Camera is a great product for the price. If you are looking for a cheap option to secure your home and family, then I do recommend it. YI also have other models in the range including the YI Home Camera 2, YI Dome Camera and the YI 1080P Dome Camera. All great cameras that are all super affordable. Go check them out now!
If you have any questions about the YI Home Camera, or have one already and what to share your experiences, then leave me a comment below.
LEARN MORE: Security Cameras for Home