Product: Netgear Arlo Q Review
Where to buy: Amazon.com – Click here for the latest price
Video Quality: 1080p
Great for: Monitoring inside your home
My Rating: 9 out of 10
Security is an integral part of any home. Unlike in the past, security is now regarded as a necessity rather than a luxury. People have tried devising numerous safety mechanisms and implementing stringent laws to maintain the highest security levels possible. However, no security system is quite complete without the addition of a good security camera. The beauty about getting a security camera is the convenience it brings. You can literally watch all the happenings in your home via your tablet or smartphone, enabling you to keep tabs on your kids and say hi to your beloved pets. As far as good security cameras go, the Netgear Arlo Q sits distinctly from the pack.
The camera lens has a 130-degree field of view which allows you to see the entire room. You can even stream videos live using your tablet, computer or smart device. The videos are in 1080p HD resolution. You therefore get a phenomenal video quality to enhance your viewing experience.
The Netgear Arlo Q also has an enhanced night vision technology that enables you to see crisp images even in the thick of night. It’s the perfect camera to use if you’re always wondering why your kids are always so rackety at night. You can also monitor your elderly parents to ensure they’re sleeping peacefully, or even check on your dog.
It has a built-in speaker and mic which support an impressive two-way communication. You can comfortably listen to the commotions in your home and talk back. However, your camera needs to be in a WiFi range of about 300 feet. Ensure you have a strong internet connection before installing the Netgear Arlo Q Security Camera.
This camera also alerts you instantly in case it detects any sound or motion. The alerts are sent to your mobile device. This allows you to take appropriate action to maintain the security of your home. If your kids are coming home from school, you can say hi to them. However, if you spot weird activity from unrecognized people, you can inform the police to check on it at once.
The Netgear Arlo Q comes with a cloud storage that’s absolutely free. This allows you to share, view and download all video recordings that happen within the past seven days free of charge. In addition, you don’t need to sign any contract for the same.
It has a wall mount that you can use to attach it to the wall. Alternatively, you can use its magnetic strip to allow it to stick to the wall. The setup itself is quite simple and takes less than 10 minutes. The user-friendly mobile app or web app comes in handy during the setup.
The Netgear Arlo Q weighs 1.2 pounds. Its dimensions are 4.93 by 5.99 by 4.45 inches. It’s therefore portable and can be set up in any room you wish.
At the time of writing this post, the Netgear Arlo Q was priced at around $200. This is a bit pricey compared to some of its peers.
- The Netgear Arlo Q produces extremely crisp videos which are in 1080p High Definition quality. You therefore get to see even the finest of details. You can recognize individuals immediately you view them.
- The free cloud recording is definitely a huge plus. It saves your video footage for up to one week! As if that’s not impressive enough, there’s an option for upgrading this feature. If you’ve been wondering what goes around your home when you’re not around for the whole week, the Netgear Arlo Q is definitely for you.
- With its amazing motion alerts, it’s hard for burglars to get away with it. This efficient security camera detects the presence of any motion or noise and alerts the user immediately. After you’re alerted, you can check in to decipher whether there’s anything to worry about.
- It’s 130-degree wide angle viewing lets you watch the whole room, even in the nooks and crannies that you normally wouldn’t bother about. You therefore get a hawk-eye perspective of the whole room. Check to see is your kids are playing fair, and monitor them when they are on time out.
- Its setup is quite easy. You only need to connect its detachable USB cable (9 feet in length) to a power source. Next, you provide the appropriate WiFi credentials, and you’re good to go.
- Because of its impressive two-way communication and night vision, the Netgear Arlo Q Camera acts as the perfect monitor for your baby, your elderly parents or even your pets. Simply listen in to ensure that everything is hunky-dory.
- The process of integrating the Netgear Arlo Q with the pre-existing wireless system is a tad complicated and can be frustrating. You might need the help of an experienced tech when setting up the camera.
- The built-in speaker doesn’t produce the best sound quality. However, this is to be expected since the camera is compact and it’s mainly designed for security rather than communication purposes.
- It’s difficult to set a monitoring schedule for the entire night. You’d need to set two schedules. For instance, one for Monday evening from 2100 hours to 0000 hours, and then another for Tuesday from 0000 hours to 0500 hours.
With such an impressive array of functionalities, it’s hard to ignore The Netgear Arlo Q. Although it’s a bit pricey compared to several other security cameras in the market, the price is justified by its impressive features. You can use it to record video footage for up to a week using its amazing cloud recording technology that’s absolutely free. Detect suspicious activities in your home using motion alerts that are sent directly to your phone. In addition, you can set specific regions in your house to monitor motion, and make a monitoring schedule that fits you perfectly. The Netgear Arlo Q is a definite must-have.
Please feel free to leave me a comment below to get in touch, or if you have any questions about the Netgear Arlo Q.
LEARN MORE: Security Cameras for Home