What is great about our time is that technology has never gone through so many advances before, and this is only the beginning. This means that even our houses can be “smart” now, including, of course, the surveillance system that lets you sleep better at night.
Security cameras are a great tool for those who wish to keep an eye on their kids, pets, or any valuable goods they might possess. If you buy a great model, you will be able to check what is going on around your house where you are not there.
So, what exactly makes a security camera good, and what factors should you consider when choosing a model? Here is an overview of the most important features.
The more megapixels a camera offers, the better the view of the images it shows. Nowadays, almost all cameras come with 1080p, although some of them still offer only 720p.
Field of view
Most of the cameras have wide-angle lenses, but they vary in the degree they cover. The larger the area you want to watch, the wider the field of view it requires.
You have to consider your needs and choose one that works with Wi-Fi, Bluetooth or both according to what you are looking for.
These cameras send an alert to your device when they detect movement in their field of view.
It is necessary to be able to access your camera’s view through an app in your phone or tablet.
In addition, the price is also something to keep in mind, as some of them might seem cheaper than other similar models but ask you to pay extra fees to save the videos and camera’s content in a cloud storage. Keep an eye on this when you are buying your new home security camera.
As for the models we have selected, they are wireless and save you loads of trouble with cables and wires. Here is a list of the five best wireless home security cameras.
Arlo Security System – 2 Wire-Free HD Cameras, Indoor/Outdoor, Night Vision (VMS3230)
- Patented 100% wire-free design
- Magnetic mounts
- 1080p HD images
- Night Vision
- App for your smart devices
- Motion activated cameras with real-time notifications
- Up to 1GB of cloud storage included
- 4 video streams at the same time
- The Arlo records only when motion is detected to decrease battery use
- It is super easy to set up, and works for indoors as well as for outdoors
- No computer required to make it start working
- You can add as many cameras as you need to the security system
- It is completely wireless and works on batteries
It records no sound
YI Dome Camera Pan/Tilt/Zoom Wireless IP Security Surveillance System 720p HD Night Vision (US Edition)
- 720p HD images with 112° wide-angle lens and 360° coverage
- Night vision with infrared LED beads
- Responsive microphone with 2-way audio experience, both parties talk or one party talks while the other listens
- Real-time alerts
- User-friendly app for phones and tablets
- Cloud and microSD storage for recordings
- It has a slot for a microSD card which can come in handy
- The price is very affordable compared to other security cameras
- It offers only 720p resolution, which is low compared to the now common 1080HD
- The camera app demands permissions, downloads files without consent, modifies system settings, and access personal information unnecessarily
Yeskam Security Camera System
- 1080p HD quality video
- Infrared New Generation LED Array that covers up to 100ft in the darkness
- Waterproof metal case
- Wi-Fi wireless connection
- 2TB hard drive
- Includes camera app
- It supports greater number of video formats for those who have issues with other cameras
- Includes a USB mouse
- 2TB Hard Drive
- It is not entirely wireless as the camera needs to be plugged to receive power
- Some users have reported software issues
Wireless Camera, Nextgadget WiFi Camera Home Security
- Built-in responsive 2-way audio experience
- Wi-Fi connectivity
- iSmartViewPro app can be downloaded for free
- MicroSD card storage of up to 64GB
- 720p HD images with 140° vision angle
- Night vision
- Motion detection included
The Nexgadget camera is super easy to set up, taking less than ten minutes to have it running
- The resolution is low compared to the now normal 1080p HD images
- The plastic structure is not very resistant
Reolink Home Business Wireless Video Security Camera System
The Reolink security cameras stand out on the market not only because they require no configuration to start working, saving you a lot of time, but also because they support up to 4TB of hard drive, making it possibly the only video camera security system to offer this feature.
- 4-channel 1080p HD video
- 1TB Hard drive pre-installed
- Plug-and-play easy setup
- App for your devices included
- Audio recordings, as well
- Aluminum body
- Supports up to 4TB of hard drive
- It requires zero configuration; you plug it, and it starts running
- Is user friendly and compatible with all smartphones and computers
The system seems to operate over normal Wi-Fi frequencies, which interferes with the normal signal of the house’s Wi-Fi, making the download speed drop considerably.
The best camera for you will depend on what you need. Some cameras, as reviewed above, only record when there is detection of movement; if you want a 24/7 camera, these are not for you. In addition, if 720p video quality does not cause you too much problem, you can acquire a more affordable camera as well.
Before buying a wireless home security camera, it is a good idea that you go over the features and decide, according to what you are looking for, which one will best do the job. If you want help on deciding, please leave me a comment below and I will be happy to point you in the right direction.
LEARN MORE: Security Cameras for Home