Product: Belkin NetCam HD+ Review
Where to buy: Amazon.com – Click here for the latest price
Great for: Inside your home
My Rating: 8.5 out of 10
Belkin NetCam Review
I have a young family, as you may have noticed from my picture up the top right, and throughout my home there are many places that my children can get themselves into trouble. Climbing on top of tables, playing with expensive and breakable items, or maybe just simply misbehaving when I’m not in the room. I’ve researched many indoor security cameras for this exact reason, to be able to keep an eye on my children from another part of the house. Today, I came across the Belkin NetCam HD+ which can help me watch my kids from another room, plus provide that extra level of security for inside your home.
The Belkin NetCam HD+ works with the WeMo home automation products that help make your life easier by using your WiFi network to control your home. For example, turning on the lights when someone walks through the door into the view of the camera.
Overall, the Belkin NetCam HD+ is a great, low priced, camera that will get you well on the way to securing your home and family. Let’s get into this review by taking a look at the benefits.
Benefits of the Belkin NetCam
As with most security cameras, the biggest benefit you get is the ability to keep an eye on things when you are not around. It might be a simple as keeping an eye on the kids in the play room while you are working in the home office, or maybe you want to keep a close eye on all your valuables.
I’ve already touched on this but another great benefit of the Belkin NetCam HD+ is that it works with the WeMo home automation products. An example of how this works is that if the camera senses motion, you can program you WeMo devices to turn on a light automatically. How handy is that when you come home late at night, and walk through the front door and a room lights up for you.
It’s also very handy that you can communicate two ways. So, say you children are misbehaving in the play room by climbing on the desk. You can use the two-way communication to ask them to climb down, without the need to get from one end of the house to the other. Awesome!
How to use the Belkin NetCam HD
The camera itself comes on a nifty little stand and can be moved around at pretty much any angle. The stand can be mounted to a wall or ceiling depending on where you want to set it up, or you could simply set the camera up on a steady surface like a shelf or table top. Just keep in mind that it will need to be connected to power using the power cable.
As far as setting up the Belkin NetCam HD+ for the first time, the process really is quite simple. By following the steps in the quick-start guide, it’s as easy as:
- plugging in and powering up the camera
- flicking the switch on the back to setup mode
- downloading the app to your smartphone or tablet
- connecting your smartphone or tablet to the camera’s WiFi network
- follow the in-app instructions to create an account and connect the camera to your home wireless network.
And away you go!
If you are wanting to store your images or footage, then you will need to sign up for their Cloud+ service. Subscribing to this service allows you to record the vision to their secure cloud storage for you to access later. In addition, the Cloud+ service also activates push notifications to your smartphone or tablet which include a video link so you can immediately view the live feed when motion is detected. You can try the Cloud+ service for 30 days for free to explore the features, but after that you’ll be required to pay. It costs around $10 per month, or $100 a year to store 14 days of footage.
Product Description and Features
Here are some of the important specifications of the Belkin NetCam HD+:
- Internal Antenna
- Lens Focal length: 3.37mm, F2.4
- Image Sensor: 2M 1/3.2 inch CMOS sensor
- Audio Compression: G.711, PCM
- 11b/g/n Wireless
- Resolution: 1280×720, 640×360, 320×180
- Frame Rate: Up to 25 Frames per Second
- 720P Still Image Capture
- Viewing Angle: Horizontal: 76°, Vertical: 57°, Diagonal: 95°
- IR Mode: 4 IR LEDs, 850nm, IR-Cut, 8-meter illumination distance
- Built-in microphone, -38 dB ± 2dB
What you get in the box is pretty standard. You get
- The Belkin NetCam HD+
- Installation Guide
- Power Cable
- Mounting Screws/Plugs
Who is the Belkin NetCam HD for?
As with most security cameras, the Belkin NetCam HD+ is for anyone that wants to monitor their home or family remotely by using a smartphone or tablet. In addition, because the Belkin NetCam HD+ is relatively low priced, it would be suitable for families looking for extra security inside their home and are on a tight budget.
Also, if you are looking for products to enhance your home by providing home automation, this camera would be perfect because of how it works with the WeMo range of products.
What I like about the Belkin NetCam
- The price – It’s a lot cheaper that some of its competitors
- Easy setup – If you have set up wireless devices before, it takes less than 5 minutes to set up.
- Works with WeMo products – Set up home automation functions based on motion detected by the camera
- Night Vision – The night vision on this camera works well, giving you the ability to keep an eye on things in the middle of the night. Perfect for use in your child’s bedrooms to make sure they are sleeping safely.
- Email Alerts – Real time notification for when motion is detected
- Neat Design – The camera looks stylish and is not obtrusive like some other designs
What I don’t like about the Belkin NetCam
- Audio quality – It’s not great, but it does the job.
- Requires sign up to their Cloud+ service if you want to store vision, or additional features like push notifications to your smartphone or tablet.
The Belkin NetCam HD+ is a great all round indoor camera. I highly recommend it if you are looking for a camera that will give you all the features you need to monitor inside your home, at a really competitive price. With the added ability to link this camera up to other WeMo devices, it really is a handy device for both home security and automation.
If you have any questions about the Belkin NetCam HD+ after reading my review, please ask them by leaving me a comment below and I will be glad to help you as much as I can.
LEARN MORE: Security Cameras for Home